Friday, September 2, 2011

Around Lunenburg

As I mentioned, we survived our first overnight passage from Malagash Cove to Lunenburg, some 90 nautical miles in 22 hours. Half of that was under sail for most of which we used the main sail.

Overnight passage
Jim teaching me how to use the autohelm computer

Our last night in Sheet Harbor was spent with Wayne and Wendy, good friends of our hosts. They live in Mushaboom which is about a 15 min drive from Sheet Harbor, and around "the corner" from Malagash Cove. In fact, while Lucia and I were practicing rowing in the dingy Wayne had spotted us from shore while visiting a friend. And while waiting the next day for the wind to change, they pulled alongside in their day sailer, Nemo, to pay us a short visit.

Afternoon appetizer time!
Of course, how could you pass up a swim?

Sunrise at Malagash Cove.

Around 5 pm the winds shifted in our favor and so we set sail quickly. While sailing we had 2-hr watch shifts each. Lucia had the first shift and then me. I thought I would not get sea sick, but of course, one cannot say that till they've spent significant time on a boat sailing in all kinds of conditions. My brother had warned me that I might get queasy when under sail for the first few days till I get acclimatized - or get my "sea legs" as they say.
Under sail on the way to Lunenburg

Coming out Sheet Harbour was okayish, but for a novice like me ... well there was a lot of rolling, pitching and yawing all at the same time. "No problem" says the captain, "Good conditions!". However, despite the ginger anti-nausea pill, the combination of lack of sleep and anxiety got me all wound up to the point that I thought I'd be puking overboard during my shift. I'm really thankful to Michele for helping me out and taking over the rest of my shift. I went below to sleep off the nausea, which did the trick. I was much better during my shift: Alert at 6am looking out for trawlers, fishing boats and coast guard frigates as we finished our crossing of Halifax Harbor.

Our approach of Lunenburg's Harbor was also eventful: we spotted a pod of dolphins, had a harbor seal check us out and were even challenged by a tourist whale watching cruiser. They were on course straight at us! It wasn't till the last minute that the ship went to our port while we shifted to avoid. It seems he wanted to give the passengers a good look at our boat.

Picton Castle - a trade ship

Lunenburg harbour

Lunenburg, is where a famous ship, the Blue Nose, was built. Why it's famous, I'm not sure. A small picturesque town that was first inhabited by the Mi'kmaq and the Acadians. Later, the British sent in loyal subjects to populate and establish the town in 1753. It is now a UNESCO designated heritage site, a lovely little place with a small population.

At the Bluenose drive with Michelle and Jim

Lunenburg Academy, now an elementary school

Sunset in the harbor ... before the mosquitoes dine on you!
The weather is changing again. Depending on conditions we may sail out this evening for another overnight passage to head out to Shelburne or Port Mouton. We need to make some mileage towards the south and we need a place to harbour to wait out the weather for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. An addition to Fadi's Bluenose comment.

    It turns out the Bluenose was the fastest sailing/fishing boat of its time - a fact that apparently any Maritimer would know, and just us, ignorant Vancouverites had no idea. As it turns out the shape of the boat that appears on every Nova Scotia plate (together with the motto "Canada's Ocean Playground") and on the 10c Canadian pennies, is the Bluenose. Who knew?

    We found all this out thanks to our new friend Stan (read posting about Mouton Bay) who just happened to have a huge framed photo, taken in 1921, of the Bluenose I racing, and another one of Bluenose II (the first Bluenose was sunk while on duty during World War II), plus a book about them. Thanks for the information and stories Stan!